collage

collage
The Genealogy Researcher - Our Ancestors Eyes & Ears telling of their Journey

Genealogy News

Genealogy News - Start searching the 1940s-era records now Ancestry.com of 3.8 million images, 130 million names

Behind the Scenes of Ancestry.com

Thursday, February 14, 2019

DNA Genealogical Genetics - What Does it All Mean ?

I begin with My Brief Story and my purpose for DNA testing...


...I began Genealogy Research Sep 1992, became a Member of Ancestry.com May 2004... 

...1992 my First Genealogy Computer Program was FamilyOrigins, at the time I had Internet connectivity.  The Web (WWW) went commercially 6 August 1991.


By 1994, Prodigy became a pioneer in selling "dial-up" connections to the World Wide Web, thus creating my First Genealogy Research Home Page using HoTMetal an HTML program (1994) and posting Sep 1995 on Prodigy.  



pages.prodigy.com-XCEE48A-gln.htm

I have been In Search of my Paternal Lineage since 1994, when I learned my Father Richard Newton Young was born Newton Richard Begnal 1924

Come forward to Dec 2016, I completed my First DNA test (autosomal) with

AncestryDNA, thousands of 5th-8th Cousins began amassing, gathering 490 4th Cousins or Closer, Five 2nd Cousins and Ten 3rd Cousins Per my DNA Result Summary

I then downloaded my Ancestry's rawDNA data and up loaded 28 Apr 2018 to

GEDmatch - Kit No. A476709, and uploading a GEDCOM file exported from FTM2017 to GEDmatch Gedom# 5626977

I could see many DNA Matches, only I was not learning my Paternal Lineage as being a Young, Begnal or Whom?

Dec 2018, I ordered the Y-DNA37 Test from FamilyTreeDNA (FTDNA) ID#892549 and mailed off my sample 2 Jan 2019, by 5 Feb 2019...



...received an E-Mail from a Matt Eaton, stating I was indeed a member of the "Eaton" Family.

So it is Official, I belong to the Haplogroup R-M269, also known as R1b1a1a2, a sub-clade of human Y-chromosome haplogroup R1b.


Until 5 Feb 2019, AncestryDNA or GEDmatch did not produce a viable link to the Eaton name, or that My Bio Great-Grandfather is/was Claude Brudenell Eaton (1879-1956)


However, I did not/do not have DNA Samples of my Deceased Father (1995), or his Father Clifford Franklin Begnal (1960) to compare with.


Something else I did not know until today "The first company to provide direct-to-consumer genetic DNA testing was the now defunct GeneTree. 


However, it did not offer multi-generational genealogy tests.  In fall 2001, GeneTree sold its assets to Salt Lake City-based Sorenson Molecular Genealogy Foundation (SMGF) which originated in 1999.


While in operation, SMGF provided free Y-Chromosome and mitochondrial DNA tests to thousands.  


Later, GeneTree returned to genetic testing for genealogy in conjunction with the Sorenson parent company and eventually was part of the assets acquired in the Ancestry.com buyout of SMGF."


Not all DNA is created equal, however: males have both mitochondrial DNA AND a Y chromosome, so they can trace both their maternal and paternal ancestry. Females, who have mitochondrial DNA but no Y chromosome, can trace only their maternal ancestry.


What a Journey after 25+ yrs of diligently researching Begnal Lineage only to learn I am not genetically connected to Begnal's that I thought were my Paternal Great Grandfather's & Families back to 1847, Meath County, Ireland.  

A total of about 360 names I removed, since learning on 29 Dec 2016, I was not a Young or Begnal, right after have received my DNA Results, based on a 1928 Letter from Clifford age 25 at the time, written to his Aunt.


Since Genealogy DNA testing was not available back in 2004 via Ancestry, my answer may have came 14 yrs ago.  And now 25 yrs later, I have that Answer, part of my Research Goal, or the Goal once I knew I was not a Young or Begnal, only by my Birth Certificate and that of my Father's BC, I thought I was.


Also Means the Time (hours, days, weeks, months & years) I spent at my key-board, not to mention the Money involved to get where I am today as of this post.


and of the knowledge of Research, experience I have gained from researching the accumulation of 4,920+ Ancestors in my Tree thus far...since I originally only knew my Mother, her Mother, my Father of 24 yrs since our first meeting in 1968, who his Mother was...


...However, Nothing of their Lives Growing up, nor who my Paternal & Maternal Grandfathers, of Cousins Nieces or Nephews, which I did learned of an Uncle, born Clifford Anthony Begnal (1923), parents Clifford Franklin Begnal and Thelma Fern PerryPereira Cardozo.


Records between 1941-1947 


SS App 1941, 

Marriage Mar 1942, 
Military Jul 1942, 
1st Child Born Oct 1942, 
2nd Child Born Jan 1945, 
1945 Affidavit following an Adoption of 2nd Child,
Divorce Jul 1946
1946 Marriage 
1947 3rd Child Born came more twists and turns to the Story...

...as was 4 Apr 1930, San Francisco federal census released in 2000, followed with Los Angeles County School records of 6 Sep 1930 obtained before 11 Sep 2001...11 Feb 1931, "Shots Fired" confirms the 4 Apr 1930 census Wife Head of House no longer in San Francisco, now living in Los Angeles County.


Since 1968, I have gained 6 half-siblings from 3 of 4 marriages of my Father, 2 Children of which per the 1945 Affidavit stating Newton Richard Young was not the biological father of Child 1 & 2, obtained by 1996.


The Mother whom Newton Richard m. Mar 1942, followed by Child 1 & 2 born in CA, all the while Newton Richard was in the Army stationed thousands of miles away in LA.  And was the Affidavit the Truth or just a way so Newton Richard was not obligated, as the divorce followed 8 Jul 1946.


Followed by the 9 Sep 1946, Marriage #2.  All this information did not come over night or from those involved, only myself and my tenacity to learn the answers as the possibilities abound, more questions with no one to ask the truth, and if there were, would tell the truth.


As it turns out, I am a Mayflower descendant of Francis Eaton (1595-1633) the Ships Carpenter, the #23rd signer on 11 Nov 1620, aboard ship, of the Mayflower Compact, which was the first governing document of the Plymouth Colony.


D.R. "Doc" Young

drdocyoung.com
FTDNA Kit No. 892549 (5 Feb 2019) 
GEDmatch A476709 (28 Apr 2018) - rev. GEDCOM 13Feb2019 - ID5626977
AncestryDNA (16 Dec 2016)

Blog - Genealogy Research & Assistance


DNA Lineage Blaschko Eaton Pereira Cardozo Shaughnessy Wilson Young


My Ancestry Tree




No comments: